Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Teaching Economics

I have discovered that there are a variety of fun ways to teach economics to students. 
I remember that I didn't really start learning about economics until I was in high school. In my senior year, I was required to take a class called "Economics." In this class, the students in the classroom made up a community. We all got assigned different jobs, which we had to apply for. I was the Tax Collector. We had to come up with each individual's salary, taxes, etc. The class was fun and this was the first time that I was actually understanding a real-life situation that I would soon be living. The fact that this was hand- on and students were the decision makers made it even more fun.This is an excellent way to teach economics to older students.
When teaching younger students, there are a number of interactive websites that can be used. Many involve students answering questions about economics in the form of a game. This way, students are learning and having fun at the same time! Another way to introduce students to the concept of money is by having a store in your classroom. Students will learn to save money for something that they want, and they will learn that money has to be earned. I will be using this idea in my future classroom!

My classmates and I created a PowerPoint presentation about teaching economics. Slides 39-46 are full of valuable resources to use for teaching economics!

Image result for teaching economics

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog about economics. I think that the game you played in your high school could be modified for 5th graders. That was a very clever way of introducing economics in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete