Monday, December 7, 2015

Choosing to be Grateful

"Acting grateful can actually make you grateful."
It would never have crossed my mind that if individuals practiced being grateful they would in fact become happier. However, this makes perfect sense. I think there are so many things in life that are taken for granted. Even i am guilty of taking everyday luxuries for granted. I don;t realize how lucky I am to wake up in a bed until i see someone sleeping on the streets. Or, that I am able to eat three meals a day until I see commercials on the television(another thing) that remind me of those not so lucky who go days without food. 
there are times that remind me of how lucky I am, and I have the feeling of being grateful. But this feeling is not as frequent as it should be. I need to make it a point to enjoy the little things in my life, which when I think about it are actually big things. When I am a teacher, I hope to influence my students to be grateful for what they have.  I will remind them how lucky they are to be sitting in the classroom, and that they are lucky to have books to read. I would like to be able to do a project in which my class collects books/school supplies to be donated to countries that are not lucky enough to have classrooms and books. This will be an eye-opening experience for students and will make them feel that they are helping other children around the world. 



1 comment:

  1. I really like the idea that you had near the end of this blog post about the students helping other students. I agree that would be a great experience for students to have. I had also never thought about practicing being grateful either. I agree that we all need to start being more grateful for what we have! :)

    ReplyDelete