Thursday, October 29, 2015

Discoveries and Learning in Fieldwork


Teaching with my classmates in fieldwork was a wonderful learning experience! 

A few things I learned....

  • Planning lessons is hard work and very time consuming.
  • Once teaching the lesson, expect the unexpected and be able to adapt.
  • Seeing students engaged in learning is a beautiful sight. 
  • Students will know more than you think they will.
  • My group members and I work well together.


Planning took a lot longer than I thought it would. Many hours were spent with my classmates, working hard to create lesson plans for the students. I knew that planning was time consuming, but I wasn't prepared for exactly how time consuming this was.
Our lessons went smoothly, but one can never predict what will happen. We ended up not having enough time for one of our assessments during direct instruction.  



A few challenges...

I expected that the students in this classroom would be engaged in learning, and they were. Students were quick to raise their hands, answer questions, and participate in activities presented to them. Most students took on challenges with excitement. What I was not expecting was for some of the students to not participate at all. Often times, for every group, there were a few students in the class that put their heads down on their desk, or sat quietly, refusing to take part in group work. 

As much as I can say the students were engaged, there were many times when the students got off task, or were not listening to the groups teaching. I observed every group before me struggle with trying to get the students to focus again when they got off task. this was very difficult. Strategies to capture students attention would often have to be tried two or three times before it actually worked. This problem is one that I was not expecting.


No comments:

Post a Comment